Monday 6 October 2008

New Designers

I have recently been looking into graphic designers,typographers and illustrators that i have heard of and read a little about but don't really feel I know enough about them or the work they produce. An important thing for me at the moment is to look into as many different areas of Vis Com that I can and read about the history as well as whats happening now.

I looked at an Illustrator yesterday called Peter Stemmler on www.quickhoney.com and was amazed by his vector drawings. He has done a really good collection of celebrity portraits including Kanye West, Andy Warhol and my personal favourite Norman Mailer which is done on a brown background in the style of a stencil. This picture is so simple yet so effect, I have an ongoing interest in stencilling and think the composition and colours used fit very well together.

Jonathon Barnbrook is another designer whos work I recently came across. I have been looking at his 'Friendly Fire' exibihition in London 2007 which is a look back across alot of their work in Britain. It included student work, typographic design, print and film. It seems alot of the work at this exhibition has a political msg or motive behind it which is maybe half the reason I liked it so much. Some work in the exhibition was street art with political meanings, maybe attacking a government or using posters or graffiti to put across important messages. They also including some Damian Hirst work and had work Jonathon had done as a student along side some of his work from present. www.barnbrook.net worth checking out.

No comments: